Top 10 Roofing Safety Tips
Nowhere is home safety more important than when you plan to inspect or work on your roof. Ladders and steep roofs can be hazardous. Make sure you follow these simple precautions when working on your roof.
- Don’t work on the roof alone. If an accident should happen there should be someone there to help.
- Make sure the ladder is on a solid, level surface. Use a ladder stabilizer that attaches to the top of the ladder. If the legs are sitting on a dirt or grass surface, dig holes to hold the bottom of the ladder in place. If the ladder is on the porch or a deck, attach a board right behind the legs to prevent slipping.
- Avoid walking on a roof when it’s wet since a wet roof can be very slippery. Remember that leaves on a roof can also create a slippery surface.
- Always wear a safety harness and make certain it is tied to something sturdy. If you should slip, a harness will prevent you from falling off the roof.
- Wear sturdy shoes or boots with good traction to help reduce slipping. Use safety glasses and a hardhat.
- If you do any work on the roof yourself, keep the site clear of debris and other objects. Clean up as you go. Nails and old shingles can create a hazard. Remove any tools that aren’t being used from the immediate work site. They can pose a slipping or tripping danger.
- Attach a ladder to the surface of the roof to create safe footing or temporarily nail short sections of 2 x 4 to the roof and move them as you work.
- Consider the weather. If thunder storms are in the area, put off your roof work until another day. Also avoid the roof if it is windy. A strong gust of wind could knock you off your feet.
- Keep your eyes on the area you’re working on to help prevent miss stepping or tripping. The view from the roof may be fantastic but getting distracted by it could be dangerous.
- If you are uncomfortable with heights or feel unstable on a ladder don’t climb up on the roof. Know your physical limitations and telephone Pickles Bros tel (0113) 2752620. It’s the safest thing you can do.